Home » News » Engineering Jobs »
SMEC South Africa: Graduate Engineering Geologist
SMEC South Africa: Graduate Engineering Geologist opportunity has become available in Gauteng for unemployed graduates in possession of the below qualifications. If interested, kindly check the below requirements. STREAK OF LUCK!
SMEC South Africa invites unemployed graduates to apply for Graduate Job Opportunity.
Company: SMEC South Africa
Job Type: Graduate Job / Full-Time
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Closing Date: Not Specified
Section Manager or any other person appointed to supervise him/her from time to time.
Primary Position Purpose:
Supervision of geotechnical contractor and interpretive reporting on field and laboratory data.
- Site supervision of geotechnical contractor (rotary core drilling).
- Adhere to and enforce Client HSE requirements for full duration of contract.
- Daily progress reporting to supervising staff member.
- Ad-hoc supervision of geotechnical subcontractors (geophysical surveyors).
- Geological field mapping (delineate changes in rockmass and measure rockmass discontinuities).
- Instruct and supervise test pit excavations.
- Log borehole core and profile test pits according to latest industry standards.
- Compile borehole logs and test pit profiles in digital format (WinLog or similar).
- Sample, bag and tag borehole core and test pits.
- Compile laboratory testing schedules and co-ordinate weekly sample pickups.
- Collate, analyse, scrutinise and interpret field and laboratory test data.
- Compile geotechnical reports (desktop studies, factual and interpretive).
- An Honours degree in Engineering Geology or in Geology.
- MSc in Engineering Geology or related geotechnical field is desirable.
- 1 to 5 years work experience practising as an engineering geologist in the consulting industry (post honours degree).
- Registered as a candidate geologist with SACNASP and working towards professional registration.
- Work experience to include:
- Project management of small to intermediate-scale projects (test pitting and drilling).
- Management and supervision of geotechnical contractors (plant hire, drilling, laboratories, geophysics).
- Proficient in soil and rock logging to the latest industry standards.
- The candidate must embrace technology and software in delivering high-class projects.
- Experience in the following software packages/ or similar is desirable:
- WinLog, gINT, HoleBASE, etc.
- Rocscience suite: DIPS, RocData, etc.
- H1 Geotechnical Engineering and Engineering Geology
- Honours Degree in Engineering Geology or Masters Degree in Geotechnical Engineering
- Adventurous personality (i.e. enjoys fieldwork in remote locations).
- Available to undertake fieldwork assignments for extended periods.
- Independent worker.
- Humility in taking guidance and review from senior staff members.
How to Apply for SMEC South Africa: Graduate Engineering Geologist
Only shortlisted candidates meeting all requirements will be contacted
Share the opportunity and never pay for any apprenticeship / job / internship / learnership / traineeship / work-integrated learning / in-service training / bursary / scholarship opportunities whatsoever – it merely takes you to apply for employment not your money.
If your document size is more than 5MB, visit one of the sites listed below to upload and shrink your documents;